We couldn’t get your developer license for Windows 8.1

Visual Studio has a great way to get me out of my workflow by popping up this message every month:

renew your developer licence

Today I was coding happily when I got the message but this time, it was followed by this more serious message:

We couldn’t get your developer license for Windows 8.1. Error 0x803F5001

After trying out some solutions I found online, the only thing I could think of was a reboot. Then I found out Windows 8 needed to update:

update

After that I was able to enter my live credentials and get a developer license.

get a dev licence